Friday, August 19, 2011

Maybe In Another Life

I wish I was better at stuff, I really do.  More specifically, I wish I was better at  Laundry. Every now and again I will go for long periods of time without doing laundry. It sucks. I feel it may be the origin of my only shame. I have clothes in 3 different rooms in my house right now. It's chaos. Some of my clothes are in drawers, some are in hampers, some are on top of tables and dressers, and some are on the floor. It isn't only clothes either; I also have no clean towels. Luckily I only keep towels in one place, the Laundry-room.
My Laundry-room is pretty nice, I have a 2 yr old washer with a digital screen, and it plays a song when the load is done. I have no real reason to not do Laundry; my appliances work great, I have good soap, and yet I can't bring myself to progress past Level 2 of laundry day. For those that aren't familiar, Level 2 of laundry day is loading and turning on the dryer. I make it to this step with no roadblocks. The singsongy chime of my washing machine reminds me of clean clothes and I end up happily loading the dryer up with clothes and a hefty amount of dryer sheets. 
The problem lies within the wait time required to dry clothes. I end up doing something else, like writing profanities on T-shirts, drawing Groucho Marx eyebrows on my face , or sometimes if Im feeling extra industrious; other housework! My stupid dryer is pretty old. When Level 2 is complete I don't get a bright chirpy robot tune. I am instead alerted out of whatever daze Im in with a sharp harsh BZZZZZZZZZZZ.
If I make it into the Laundry-room, which is unlikely. I will load everything into a hamper and throw on some tunes to fold to. Tunes to fold to usually consist of hip swaying tunes. Think; 'The Supremes' or 50's Rock and Roll, or some Reggae even, I love listening to Miscellaneous Reggae from Internet Radio; when you don't know the songs it will all blend together as one song, and it feels as though you've found a way to stop time.
It is at this crucial time of Level 2 where I usually fail. I will neatly fold all the Laundry, place it gently back into the hamper, carry it back into the laundry room , set it atop the dryer, and there it will stay until all the things are ready to be washed again.  I spend my whole week getting dressed at the bottom of the stairs, peeling dryer sheets off my bare feet. It's pathetic. I have 2 Fucking closets in my bedroom!
I hope to one day Make it past Level 2 of laundry day. The elusive level 3 calls to me, makes me yearn for a simpler time, a time when someone else did all that stupid shit for me.
I don't know how I will overcome this deficiency in my character. I may recruit my husband to cheer me on during Level 2. He could throw out a few "hells yeah its laundry day baybee"'s. I may even try throwing away all my hampers so I have to carry all my clothes one by one upstairs to my bedroom closet. 
Perhaps I will outgrow my self diagnosed attention deficit disorder, maybe I will learn to love doing boring things someday. I can't be sure, but I have hope, and really isn't that all that matters?






1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to this!

    I wash, I dry, I keep clean clothes in the hampter. Dirty clothes either go on the floor or in my other hampter. I'm so not domesticated...anymore that is.

    ReplyDelete